b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] בעדי

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Michael Abernathy <mabernathy AT conwaycorp.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] בעדי
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 22:19:44 -0700

Michael:

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM, Michael Abernathy <mabernathy AT conwaycorp.net> wrote:
Brown Driver Briggs offers "in separation from" or "away from" as one definition of   בעד
So "from me" isn't all that unreasonable.

I don’t know where BDB got that definition, it’s not in Tanakh. Three days ago, I listed all 10 occurrences of בעדי B(DY found through an electronic search, and not one had the idea of “separation from” or anything similar. I have no idea from where they got their definition.

  However, I can't find any place where the Hebrew Bible uses it in that way.
In fact, I see only two places where
בעד is used, Jonah 2:7 and Job 6:22. Jonah 2:7 uses it to mean something like "around me" and
Job 6:22 uses it to mean "for me."

Those are two of the ten that I found. And those are the two translations that I found.

Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy