b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is George Athas too optimistic?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Barry H." <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is George Athas too optimistic?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 22:20:49 -0400

On 4/17/2013 10:02 PM, George Athas wrote:
Call me an idealist, Uri, but I think we can and should aim for theories
based on evidence, and see the critical distinction between possibility
("if") and probability ("since"). When we put forward ideas that don't
actually have an evidential basis, we should own up to that point.
There's nothing to be ashamed of—I have particular perspectives that I
believe on the basis of my faith, rather than on the basis of
categorical evidence. But I'll readily admit that. I just wish others
would do the same, as it would make engagement far more meaningful.

Alas, not everyone does follow these principles, Uri. Yet, I'll still be
a voice calling in the wilderness.

But guys, it's so much more fun just to make stuff up. And then argue about it as though it's real. Personally, I'm pushing for the historical nature of the Lord of the Rings, and that Sindarin is the root language for Hebrew. I mean, isn't it obvious?

--
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
The American Academy