b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] akkadian bible?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com,b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] akkadian bible?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 21:34:39 -0200

jim,

it is very difficult for me to draw the line between fact and supposition in your arguments
below. but even if they are all correct, and if it can be detected in the old testament that some
confusion exists between certain guttural letters, i imagine that transliteration from akkadian
is only one among many possible explanations for this confusion. so, before you jump into hasty conclusions, you will have to eliminate these other possibilities.

1. i will mention just one. the letters H and X are very similar in the "new" aramaic alphabet,
and so it might well be that, for example, HWBH (if indeed H was the original correct choice here, and i really do not know where you got it) changed to XWBH in a much later date than you suppose, by a scribe writing in aramaic letters.

clearly there are many other explanations: differences between dialects and local pronounciation etc etc.

2-3. i am not sure that your claims concerning egyptian names and their cuneiform or semitic
transliterations are backed by the egyptologists. i see little beyond your very particular interpretations.

4. as to  BR( and BR$( , your argument lacks any logical foundation: the fact that "(" is used in CH 14 is not an argument that CH 15 was transliterated from akkadian. actually, "(" and "x" and "h" exist galore in almost every chapter in genesis. i just opened arbitrarily gen 32 and found jacob and esau in "(", MXNYM in "x" etc etc.

[Chapters 14 and 49 of Genesis were transformed into alphabetical Biblical Hebrew 300 years before the rest of the Patriarchal narratives was transformed from Akkadian cuneiform into alphabetical Biblical Hebrew

is it a fact? is it what you are trying to prove? what is the evidence?

it is all supositions, conjectures and imagination. i have personally nothing against the akkadian hypothesis, i just do not see enough evidence there to argue about it, pro or con.

nir cohen

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 10:14:26 -0400 (EDT), JimStinehart wrote