b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Grammar and Moses? Attack on King Og of Bashan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rev. Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>, <chavoux AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Grammar and Moses? Attack on King Og of Bashan
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 08:57:45 -0800

Dear Jim,

1.    Midian is NOT Mitanni. So do not go there. You are confusing the Haran and Canaan. Furthermore, the Midianites, being nomadic people, would move over vast areas of land to maintain their flocks. Finally, you have too many "Ifs" in your hypothesis that does not fit the conditions on the ground (pun intended) nor in the text.

2.    If you would read the entire passage of Numbers 21:33-35, then you would have found that 21:34 answered the question,
        "The LORD said to Moses, 'Do not be afraid of him, for I have handed him over to you, with his whole army and his land (my emphasis). Do to him what you did to Sihon king of the Amorites, who reigned in Heshbon.' "

This indicated that permission had been granted by the LORD. God was giving the land to them for Og's aggression against the Israelites. Nothing new there since that is what happens when one goes to war against another foe and loses. "To the winner goes the spoils."

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III