b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Names Ending in -YH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • To: kwrandolph AT gmail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Names Ending in -YH
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 18:13:26 -0500 (EST)

Karl:

1.  You wrote:  “But [in my prior post] I also mentioned CRWYH David’s uncle, mentioned in 1 Samuel and 1 Chronicles. Even by your reckoning, 1 Samuel comes before 2 Samuel.”

But Karl, I Chronicles 2: 16, which you expressly cited in your prior post, says that Zeruiah was King David’s sister, not his uncle.

CRY is a kind of balsam, and -H is a standard west Semitic feminine ending for a woman’s name.

I don’t know of anyone who claims that CRWYH is a west Semitic name of a man that honors YHWH.  Given what I Chronicles 2: 16 expressly states, why would you think this is a man?  And if -YH in this name honors YHWH, then what is CRW and how does it honor YHWH?

2.  You wrote:  “[Chronicles] records events that occurred before King David, [and] it falsifies your thesis.”

No, my thesis is that from Genesis through I Samuel, there is not a single man’s name of an individual character in the Bible that is a west Semitic name ending in -YH that honors YHWH.

I further assert that the names “Uriah” and “Seraiah” in II Samuel are non-Hebrew names with a Semiticizing -H ending.  That is no surprise, because Joshua 15: 63 expressly tells us that Jebusites remained in Jerusalem to this very day, and Araunah, whose name also ends in -H, is expressly stated at II Samuel 24: 16 to be a Jebusite.

Thus in the books of the Bible from Genesis through II Samuel, the first person who gives a son of his a west Semitic name ending in -YH that honors YHWH is King David.  Yes!

3.  Karl, you have not been able to cite a single name occurring from Genesis through I Samuel that is the name of an individual male character in the Bible that is a west Semitic name ending in -YH that honors YHWH.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois