b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tense
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 17:30:50 +0100

Dear Frank,

You have quoted Comrie correctly, but we should take a closer look at what he
calls "such counterexamples." Two of the examples he uses are:

1) If you did this I would be very happy.

2) I just wanted to ask you if you could lend me a pound.

Both are special cases. Example 1) refers to a potential action and 2) is a
polite expression, according to Comrie. When we ask whether a language has
tenses, we should analyze examples from main clauses and subordinate clauses
in normal contexts and not look for hypothetical expressions or special
cases. Let us make the following test: Can anyone give an example of the
forms "went" and "walked" with non-past tense in a normal context?

Prophecies have future reference, so let us look at four examples:

3) Isaiah 51:3:
For YHWH will comfort (QATAL) Zion; he will comfort (QATAL) all her
devastated places. And he will make (WAYYIQTOL) her wilderness like Eden, and
her desert plain like the garden of YHWH. Joy and gladness will be found
(YIQTOL) in her, thanksgiving and voice of melody.

In 3), there can be no doubt that the last YIQTOL must have future reference,
and the same must be true with the WAYYIQTOL, because it is the action
expressed by the WAYYIQTOL that causes the joy and gladness expressed by the
YIQTOL. The two QATALs with future reference show that all the Hebrew
conjugations can have future reference.

4) Hosea 8:10:
Though they kept hiring (YIQTOL) people among the nations, now I will collect
them (YIQTOL), and they will cause some profanation (WAYYIQTOL) because the
burden of the king and princes.

In 4), the turning point between the first YIQTOL, "they kept hiring" or
"they keep hiring" is "now." After the present moment God will collect them,
expressed by a YIQTOL, and "they will cause some profanation (WAYYIQTOL)". It
is obvious tht the time reference of the second YIQTOL and the WAYYIQTOL is
the same, and that reference is future.

5) Hosea 13:7-9:
"And I shall come upon them (WAYYIQTOL) like a lion, like a leopard on the
way I will keep looking (YIQTOL). I shall meet them (YIQTOL) like a bear
that has lost its cubs, and I shall rip apart (WEYIQTOL) their chest and
heart. And I shall devour them (WEYIQTOL) there like a lion; a wild beat of
the field will rip them apart (YIQTOL). It will destroy you (QATAL), because
it was against me, against your helper.

In 5), we have a prophecy with a future setting. The actions that will occur
are expressed by one WAYYIQTOL, two YIQTOLs, two WEYIQTOLs and one QATAL.
This shows again that all conjugations, including WAYYIQTOL, can have future
reference.

6) Mica 2:13.
The one who breaks open (participle) the way, will go up (QATAL) before them.
And they will break through (WAYYIQTOL) the gate and go out (WAYYIQTOL) by
it. And their king will pass through (WAYYIQTOL) before them, and YHWH at the
head of them.

In 6), we again have a prophecy with future reference, and this reference is
expressed by one QATAL and three WAYYIQTOLs.

What is important in connection with these passages in relation to Comrie's
words, is that they occur in normal indicative clauses, in main clauses. None
of the verbs in these clauses can be viewed as special cases. Therefore I
draw the conclusion that neither the WAYYIQTOL nor the QATAL represent
grammaticalized location in the past (=past tense).

BTW, I have analyzed 965 QATALs with future referencece.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway

Mandag 17. Desember 2012 18:53 CET skrev "Dr. Frank Matheus"