b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] song 1:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] song 1:7
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 19:41:49 -0800

Nir:

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br> wrote:
karl,

>>> PERE: as Nir said in another post, HWMYH in Is 22:2 is not a noun (it is a
participle, feminine singular, acting as an adjective).

>>> KARL: Using the context as a guide, which indicates we should
look for a noun in this place, I call it a noun.

>>> KARL:On what basis do you call it a participle acting as an adjective?

... and on what basis do you call it a noun?

What’s above refers to Isaiah 22:2. What’s below refers to Song of Songs 1:7

neither pere nor i see it as a
noun, especially if you examine the way it is inserted in the phrase, i.e.
followed by (L. we see it as describing an action, a participle. we also gave
two etymologies which favor interpretation as a participle: to veil and to
flock upon.

Song of Songs 1:7 is still a question with me, and I have not expressed a determination on it. And I have expressed the possibility that this use could be a participle.

>>> Do you have other examples of where the plural of a feminine noun ending
in a -H has the plural form ending in -NYWT? Where are they found in Tanakh?

it is the normal way for a feminine noun ending in a -YH to become -YWT. and
if the last letter in N, so -NYH becomes -NYWT.

That was not my question. Are there other examples where a N was not the final letter before the H, but inserted to make a -NYWT ending?

but sometimes also -H without a Y becomes -YWT. thus, M$NH becomes M$NYWT. i
am sure pere can find more BH examples.

Where is this one found? I’m away from my main computer, and the Bible on my iPod Touch says this form is not found.

nir cohen