b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] More on Verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Spinti <jspinti AT eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] More on Verbs
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:15:06 -0600

Again, for John...
________________________________
James Spinti
E-mail marketing, Book Sales Division
Eisenbrauns, Good books for more than 35 years
Specializing in Ancient Near Eastern and Biblical Studies
jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
Phone: 260-445-3118
Fax: 574-269-6788

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John A. Cook" <john.cook AT asburyseminary.edu>
Subject: Re: b-hebrew Digest, Vol 120, Issue 21
Date: December 13, 2012 1:12:24 PM CST
To: James Spinti <JSpinti AT Eisenbrauns.com>

Dear Rolf,

Thank you for clarifying that your reasoning is not following the well-recognized circular reasoning of discourse linguists of the Weinrich school of thinking. Beyond that I can only ask you to reconsider your post, because it appears you are inconsistent: on the one hand, you define narrative a sequence of events; on the other hand, you claim that a verb in narrative "per definition has past reference." First of all, your given definition of narrative does not include past reference. Second, I think you might well adopt a more rigorous definition of narrative: a narrative event consists of two or more events in iconic order (i.e., given in the order in which they occur); the test of such a sequence is the irreversibility property: two events in narrative sequence cannot be related in a different order without altering the sense of the _expression_. (These are not my definitions; these go back some years in the linguistic literature and are documented in my JSS article as well as chap. 4 of my book.)

John