b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] More on verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] More on verbs
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 16:28:01 +0100

Dear John,

In order to avoid focusing on several points at the same time, in this post I
discuss just one of your points.

> >> From: John Cook <jacookvwbus AT yahoo.com>
> >> Date: December 12, 2012, 10:42:30 AM EST
> >> To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org"; <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
> >> Subject: Tense
> >>
> >> **Forgive my tardy taking up of this thread; I had previously submitted
> >> this from the wrong e-mail and it bounced!**
> >>
> >> Dear Rolf, Frank, et al,

> >> Let me respond briefly to some of Rolf's comments on this specific
> >> passage, as it is generally instructive:

> >> This is a wonderfully clear illustration of the viciously circular
> >> reasoning we need to avoid to make headway: of course the verb in 2:19
> >> has a past reference because it is part of a narrative, which is past by
> >> definition; and how do we know that it is a past narrative, because the
> >> verbs that make it past indicate that to us (so would Weinrich argue
> >> too!). Can any deny that this is viciously circular and begs the whole
> >> question of what the verb forms actually indicate since presumably we
> >> can tell this is narrative apart from the verbs but yet discourse
> >> analysis tells us the verbs indicate the type of discourse.

RF: Your accusation of circular reasoning is strange indeed. I agree with the
following definition of circular reasoning:

"Circular reasoning: a use of reason in which the premises depends on or is
equivalent to the conclusion, a method of false logic by which "this is used
to prove that, and that is used to prove this; also called circular logic."

(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Circular+reasoning)

I understand the term "narrative" as "the telling of a story or an account of
a sequence of events." The sequence of events consists of clauses with verbs
(although nominal clauses can be included). Several factors signal that a
group of sentences constitute a narrative, particularly the lexical meaning
of the words of the clauses, and the verbs carrying the action forward. In
circular logic, the premise is equivalent to the conclusion. If I understand
you correctly, your premise is that a narrative verb must either be
grammaticalized past tense or perfective, and therefore, your conclusion is
that because Genesis 2:19 is a part of a narrative, the WAYYIQTOLs must be
grammaticalized past tense or perfective. I do not start with such a premise,
but I say that a narrative verb per definition has past reference, but it
needs not be grammaticalized past tense or perfective; the example I gave was
the 41 infinitive absolutes in the Karatepe inscription, 16 of which have a
prefixe
d WAW. So, I worked to find the real nature of the WAYYIQTOLs with the help
of the parameters deictic center, event time, and reference time, without
starting with a premise that was equivalent to the conclusion, and without
knowing what the conclusion would be.

So, I leave it to the members of b-greek to judge where the circular
reasoning is.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern