b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fwd: Re. re. More on verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fwd: Re. re. More on verbs
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:28:40 +0100

Dear John,

While I wait for your answer to the E-mail I posted this morning (local
time), I have a question based on your comments below: In the 40 lines of the
Phoenician Karatepe inscription, the verb form carrying the narrative forward
is the infinitive absolute. There are 21 infinitive absolutes, 16 of which
have a prefixed WAW, thus being syntactically similar to WAYYIQTOLs. Are
these infinitive absolutes grammaticalized past tense, or can forms that have
past reference but are not grammatcalized past tense be used as narrative
forms in Semitic langauges?

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway

Torsdag 13. Desember 2012 14:48 CET skrev James Spinti