b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Spinti <jspinti AT eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbs
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 07:58:01 -0600

Again, from John
________________________________
James Spinti
E-mail marketing, Book Sales Division
Eisenbrauns, Good books for more than 35 years
Specializing in Ancient Near Eastern and Biblical Studies
jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
Phone: 260-445-3118
Fax: 574-269-6788

Begin forwarded message:

******************
Dear Rolf,

Sorry I assumed that you would be offended by a perceived ad hominem attack; most people understand that to be offensive. I'm unwilling to adhere to your pessimistic assumption: "there is no final answer to the meaning of the Hebrew verbal system." This seems merely a rouse to allow yourself the freedom to claim whatever notions you want about the system. If you merely mean that there is no FINAL answer as in any other area of knowledge, then what is not self-evident about that and why should it give us any pause in our discussion: while a final answer may not be forthcoming, some answers are better than others. I'm not at all sure that the "balanced scholarly approach" is "to question the conclusions of other scholars" but rather to examine the data. But then that was my point: that all this theoretical posturing does not permit adequate attention to the data.

And to repeat my point, I am not attacking people, even as you note that I've called Andrason's approach naive, not Andrason himself (after all, don't we regularly engage in calling actions evil without wanting to be so politically incorrect as to call the people evil?)

But to oblige you in your questions:

1) The definitions of the Hebrew verbal system have varied in the past 150 years, though not greatly: there have traditionally been two main camps, tense-prominent (e.g., Blake, Joüon) and aspect prominent (e.g., Rundgren, Waltke and O'Connor). But then these definitions have become "refined" as linguists have refined their understanding. The problem is that the BH discussion lags behind the linguistic discussion.

2) The definitions I speak of are those linguists employ regularly and without dispute among themselves (we're a long way from Comrie 1976!): see the chapter on perfective/imperfective aspect on WALS (http://wals.info/chapter/65). Linguists regularly employ these terms to analyze a wide variety of language without getting stuck on defining what aspect nor with special pleading that such and such language has aspect but not in the same way as everyone else understands it.

3) These definitions arise from the past quarter-century and more of inductive study of verbal systems and the recognition of the type of temporal relations that human language may express. So I suppose to be pointed: they are not a priori, but they are both inductively based and philosophically based (going back to Aristotle, grammarians recognize that elements of "time" are regularly expressed by verbs, and these are the definitions of the types of temporal relationships that verbs regularly encode).

4 and 5) Yes, deictic center, event time, and reference time are features of many analyses of verbal systems, arising from Reichenbach's  (1947) ideas on tense. They are widely agreed upon by linguists.

6) No, it is not silly to systematically apply these concepts to determine the meaning of the Hebrew verbal system, but it does not follow that one's systematic applications of these concepts is nevertheless silly, and that was my point about your work. You neither systematically apply them nor is your reasoning frequently sound. You engage in special pleading that other considerations (esp. pragmatics) need to be taken into account, yet you have not adequately critiqued your understanding of pragmatics: it becomes for you a deus ex machina for any and all objections to your analysis.

John