b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Song of song 1:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Song of song 1:7
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 05:54:36 +0100

It is not a noun, Karl. It is a Qal Participle, singular feminine of (+H.
It is not from (Y+. Remark that in Song 1:7 the yod comes after the teth and not before it.
It is a variant -rarely appearing in the Tanakh-  of the much more usual form without the yod:

Look at Dt 20:20; Jd 20:31 and Is 49:21 for some instances of this much common form (lacking yod) of the Qal Participle, singular feminine, of verbs lamed"heh (or lamed"yod).

Now, what refers to the meaning...  I'm not sure which is here the real meaning of this word. The NAS has "who veils herself"

Friendly,

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)