b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: Song of Songs 1:3 TWRQ

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: David Kolinsky <hadeesh AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: Song of Songs 1:3 TWRQ
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 01:06:00 -0500

1. Hebrew etymology is a delicate and uncertain undertaking.

2. TuRaQ certainly deserves more than just "some discussion". Every word of the Hebrew bible deserves scrutiny.

3. As for understanding the text, I would read it: By your good smelling oils your name (reputation?) is mollified as by oil.

4. I agree with you that RK is 'soft' and that RQ is 'thin' (whatever is soft may be spread out), both related to MRX, 'smear' (see Is. 38:21), MRQ, 'pulverize', and MRG, 'grate, shred' (see Is. 41:15).

5. ROQ (actually ROK, 'tenderness') is indeed 'spit, phlegm, mucus, muck'.

6. YARAQ appears to me to be a variant of ZARAQ, 'toss' (also ZARAX, 'shine, emit light'), referring specifically to the ejection of spittle. Also to grass sooting forth its green blades. Related to them is $ARAQ, 'whistle, ejecting through the lips of a thin column of air in order to produce a shrill sound'. Also to the SARIYG, 'branch', of Gen. 40:10.

Isaac Fried, Boston University