b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 22,1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Streitenberger" <ps2866 AT bingo-ev.de>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 22,1
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 23:57:26 +0100

Thanks, Jerry ! I just checked DeRossi and Kennicott for variants. There are none noted. The Latin Vulgate got it better: “verba rugitus mei”.
Your explanation makes sense.
Yours
Peter Streitenberger, Germany

Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:12 PM

Hi Peter,

I was looking at this passage just a couple of days ago.  The LXX does something very similar.  They translate it as "from my transgressions."  One suggestion by the text-critics is that the LXX may have misread the root as shagag or shaga' rather than sha'ag (I don't know your familiarity with Hebrew, so I'm using a simplified transliteration scheme).  So perhaps both the LXX and the Syriac either misread the Hebrew (a possible metathesis), or, conjecturally, one might suggest they had a different Hebrew text in front of them.  In any case, this other root has to do with transgressions, going astray, and perhaps, in some cases, unintentionally.  So one could see an overlap between folly and unintentionally going astray.

Blessings,

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary
Edmonton, Alberta