b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Plural -WN ending

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Plural -WN ending
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 06:08:23 +0000

The paragogic nun is not a literary device. Actually, since it adds nothing, it can't be a literary device per se. Rather, it is most likely a lingering archaic ending from earlier stages of the language. The paragogic nun only goes with vocalic subject suffixes and it is used sporadically.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,