b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Plural -WN ending

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Plural -WN ending
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:38:07 -0700

Dear All:

I was just reading Job 15:28 and noticed the word ישכון and found myself asking, why shouldn’t it be the verb שכך with the plural -WN suffix?

But that leads to my real question, what are the rules concerning the -WN plural verbal suffix? It is used for both second and third person plural. Is there something special about it? What rules govern its usage? A quick look shows that it is used 12 times in Genesis for both second and third person plural.

Please, I’m again on the road, with no access to libraries nor scholarly books, so please answer on line.