b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh or no dagesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: yodan AT yodanco.com
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh or no dagesh
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 19:52:34 -0400

Methinks that:

1. There is no such thing as a kamatz "katan" and a kamatz "gadol". If you (not personally) prefer to pronounce a certain kamatz AOUEI and wish to call it a kamatz beynoni you (not personally) have my permission to do it.

2. The dagesh is a vestige of a pre-NIKUD reading prop which became obsolete upon the introduction of the punctuation. Its only purpose now is to bedevil the Hebrew language with bizarre rules (courtesy of the Hebrew "Academy") on reading the BKP letters.

3. In Nu. 23:27 it is W-QAB-OTO with a dagesh in the letter B following a patax, as expected. In Nu. 22.7 it is QABAH with no dagesh in the letter B, following a kamatz, as expected. In Nu. 23:25 it is TI-QAB-ENU with a dagesh in the letter Q, following a xiriq, as expected.

Isaac Fried, Boston University