b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] dagesh or no dagesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yodan" <yodan AT yodanco.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <b-hebrew-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] dagesh or no dagesh
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:18:34 -0700

Sorry if this is a repeated email. I don’t understand why my emails don’t seem to be getting through. Yigal, can you please help? Sometimes my messages are not getting through…

Shalom!

The word K.V.H.-LI (usually pronounced KAVAH-LI) appears twice – in Numbers 22:11 and 2:17.

Looking at the facsimile copy of the LC, I see that BEIT has a DAGESH the first time this word is mentioned (Numbers 22:11) but not the second time. There is also a Raphe over the BEIT, which makes it a peculiar situation, as a letter cannot have both a Dagesh and a Raphe at the same time.

The BHS, BHL, the on-line Westminster LC, and all the Tanakh editions show both time BEIT without Dagesh.

My question:

Does anyone know if what I see in the facsimile copy of the LC is real – is it a real dot inside the BEIT or is it some spec to which no one (but me?) is paying attention?

If it’s a real dot, it’s an interesting situation because this is a “strange” word that may be more properly KOBAH (with a Kamatz Katan) than KAVAH. (Yes, I know that the Masoretes used the same vowel sound for each Kamatz and that the classification into K Gadol and K Katan are later…).

Thank you in advance for responding.

Bruryah (Yodan)