b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 8:6 made lower or lessened

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 8:6 made lower or lessened
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 03:02:25 +0000

Hi Stephen!

I don't think it's arbitrary at all to read Ps 8 intertextually with Gen 1–2. I was simply observing that Ps 8 itself makes no overt reference to Genesis, though the subject matter overlaps. In other words, you can hear Ps 8 clearly enough without reference to Genesis. However, if you want to take a canonical or biblical theological approach, intertextuality is a standard method — something I do with my students all the time. I just want, though, to let each text stand on its own feet first before intertextual reading. That's all.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia