b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 8:6 made lower or lessened

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Michael Abernathy <mabernathy AT conwaycorp.net>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 8:6 made lower or lessened
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 06:31:29 -0700

Michael:

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM, Michael Abernathy <
mabernathy AT conwaycorp.net> wrote:

> I'm a little uncertain how Psalm 8:6 should be understood. Does the
> Hebrew word מעט
> suggest something that is originally made less than another or was
> previously equal to and then lessoned?
>
> ותחסרהו מעט מאלהים וכבוד והדר תעטרהו
>
> If the latter would it be wrong to suggest that prior to the fall Adam
> and Eve were supposed to be equal to the angels?
> Sincerely,
> Michael Abernathy

Literally, the verse merely says that “you make him lack a little from God”.

A question comes up, was this the original reading, or was this a varient
that later became the standard? Or did the LXX mistranslate it?

מעט here is an adjective, meaning ‘a little, few’.