b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 8:6 made lower or lessened

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Shead <sshead.email AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 8:6 made lower or lessened
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 14:19:49 -0400

Hi George,

You say there's "nothing about Adam and Even in the Psalm", as if it would be completely arbitrary to read it intertextually with Gen 1:26-27 (which is I presume what you meant?). But surely the indicators are strong enough to make it a less than arbitrary connection:

- Context of contemplating the works of creation (moon and stars), v.4
- A little less than אלהים, v.6
- The lordship of humanity over a list of animals, birds and fish, v.7-9 (Gen. 1:26, 28)

Seems to me that there are a number of things to suggest that the psalmist is indeed reflecting on the creation narrative, despite the lack of overlapping terminology. And if that's the case, the ambiguity of אלהים simply reflects the same ambiguity in Gen 1:26-27 (with the plural נעשׂה "let us make" etc.).

Michael, with regard to your question:

By itself, of course, the word מעט can't mean anything so complicated as what you asked about. It just means "a little" (or "a few", etc.). But in the context, if the psalmist does have Gen 1 in mind, it's clearly talking pre-fall. One relevant question, however, might be: In what sense "less than" אלהים? That may need consideration - but would take us well beyond the grammar of the Hebrew.

Stephen Shead
Centro de Estudios Pastorales
Santiago, Chile