b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Lexicography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Lexicography
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 08:53:28 +0000

Karl,

Can I suggest you actually pay some attention to the standard practice of
examining semantics: a word may have a wide semantic domain, but in a
particular context, usually only one specific meaning within the entire
domain is on view, or sometimes two if a pun/wordplay is being made. Your
lexicographical method is to take the entire semantic domain, derive an
average meaning, and then apply that average meaning across the board. This
is such a brutal and flawed approach to lexicography because it ignores the
basic framework of language: context. In fact, I think you've invented a new
fallacy: etymological average transfer.

If you are so confident in your method, may I suggest you write a paper
outlining it and send it to be peer reviewed by leading lexicographers and
perhaps included in a journal. You may also get some good feedback from them
for your consideration.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia