b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The root CLH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Ishnian <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The root CLH
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 22:33:37 -0400

What I mean is that we don't know if Arabic and Hebrew separated for good in pre-biblical times, or if Arabic branched from Hebrew in biblical times as Hebrew speaking tribes started to move down into Arabia along the eastern shore of the Red Sea (look up the remarkable story of YHUDAH and TAMAR in Gen. 38 that starts: "And it came to pass at that time, that Judah went down from his brethren, and turned in to a certain Adullamite, whose name was Hirah"), or if they started as distinct branches but got mingled together by the influx of Hebrews from the north, or what.

Isaac Fried, Boston University