b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] baal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] baal
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 16:54:01 +0300

That is interesting. The Hebrew version does not mention that etymology. I
wonder if it's a sort of etiology, since that root does mean "to pray" in
both Aramaic and in Arabic.

Aramaic, of course, is NOT "vulgar Hebrew". That's like saying that German is
vulgar Yiddish. Aramaic is a totally independent language, with several
well-defined dialects, and was spoken in the past by millions of people who
had no connection to Hebrew. it has a lot in common with Hebrew, but also a
lot that is not.

The root CLA is once example. In Aramaic it means "to pray". In Hebrew a
homonymous root means "to roast". Which is a good reason to pray.

Yigal Levin