b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] baal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ishnian" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] baal
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 23:32:24 -0500

Correct; so are the following:

pall, appall: causing confusion dismay or chock, failing in strength
Ball(ast): a load, burden; heavy material used to steady a ship.
Pall(as): a goddess also related to sense of a ' concubine."
Pal: a partner, a common law wife (as in palimony) BTW no relation to the Gypsy sense of 'brother' which is a misnomer)

Ishinan Ishibashi

Philip Hardy wrote:
4) The playing and toying together of a man with his wife, he lay with her.

Interestingly as I grew up in Minnesota I have heard Coitus or intercourse referred to in Enlish as Balling