b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Meanings of Biblical Names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Meanings of Biblical Names
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 15:33:11 -0700 (PDT)

Jim,

Did it ever occur to you that YaRae'aCh = Moon also means "wanderer?"

Unlike the sun, whose pattern of movement is rather simple, that of the moon
is far more complicated.  To an untrained eye like my own, the moon seems to
simply be wandering about both the day and night skies.

Also TeRaCh could mean "one who waits or hesitates" literally "one who
catches his breath (RuaCh) or takes a respite (ReVaCh)."  The verb TRCh means
"to keep back,  to allow time" in Biblical Aramaic and "to be sad, to grieve"
in Arabic.  Have you ever noticed that his father's name NaChoR means "to be
rebuked?"

David Kolinsky
Monterey CA