b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] serah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com,b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] serah
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 16:41:16 -0200

jim,

i do not see any biblical pattern where a word with a final letter X (or, for
this matter, any final letter) indicates association with the same
word without that letter. SARAY/SARAH and SERAX could well be mere
coincidence.

the whole issue of names is a mine field, since  (as we see all around us
nowadays) names often cross ethnic and linguistic limits with
HUGE frequency and enormous rapidity. here in brazil, for example,
wellington, washington, wilson and many original names ending
in "-ton" like neiton are very popular (as PROPER names!), and have nothing
to do with the latin, indian or black cultures, nor with
any particular immigration wave. clearly they were initially meant to
immitate the american culture. this does not mean that the person bearing
this
name is less "blood-brazilian" than a guy named traditionally joão or
henrique. nor would anybody here think of ever
changing a "wellington" to, say, "wellingtoX".

if you look at the entire biblical genealogical text (chapters like the one
we are discussing), you will discover great variability of names,
clearly belonging to different cultures and still mostly without
extra-biblical confirmation.

it is for this reason that i deliberately avoided discussing ethnicity in
relation to names like SERAH.  even if the name is not semitic,
its bearer could very vell be "kosher" jewish.

nir cohen

On Thu, 24 May 2012 08:18:55 -0400 (EDT), jimstinehart wrote