b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] serah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] serah
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 14:32:42 -0700

Nir:

This is in the context of listing all of Jacob’s sons and daughters,
grandsons and granddaughters, at the time Jacob moved to Egypt. There were
a whole slew of sons, but only two daughters mentioned (Dinah was also
listed).

Such an imbalance between males and females is highly unusual, but not
unheard of, even in modern days. (Several years ago there was a little news
story, about one column inch in a newspaper, about a family that was
celebrating the first birth of a daughter in over a century of sons only.
Trivia that was unimportant, so forgotten until recently reminded of it.)

It looks like later writers are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Karl W. Randolph.