b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax Workbooks

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Borger, Todd" <tborger AT sebts.edu>
  • To: Dave Washburn <davidlwashburn AT gmail.com>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax Workbooks
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 20:39:37 +0000

Dave,
Thanks for the encouragement to keep up the work.
I suppose that linguistic "predictions" are scaled. Every Hebrew grammar
makes predictions about the language using non-biblical language, since our
whole paradigm of forms of the q-t-l root consists of forms of that root that
do not exist in our literature.
Of course, no one doubts the validity of those predictions based on what we
see happening on all other roots of the same type.
But syntactic prediction seems to take on a different character than the
"simpler" morphological predictions we are used to.
The question I want to answer is this: If I want to say, "Yesterday I did
"x"," in good biblical Hebrew, what are my options for doing so? What would
it look like if I said, "Tomorrow I will do "x""? Is that type of prediction
any more dangerous or tenuous than our morphological predictions?
Blessings,
Todd Borger