b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 113, Issue 9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 113, Issue 9
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 16:42:18 -0400

1. A theory is not a theorem; a theory requires no proof.

2. Linguistics is no science.

3. Looking at today's Hebrew newspapers makes me think that the NIKUD has not yet been invented.

4. Syllable is a fiction.

5. "Akkadian" is a presumed language; one may say to me whatever one wants about "Akkadian" or Summerian" or HIttitic" or "Amoritic" or "Jebusitic", or whatever not, I have no way of verifying it.

6. You have no proof that the "Massorates" added the dagesh; it is a tentative theory.

7. But we need no theories; Look at the HB and you will see that the dagesh systematically follows a patax, a xirik, and a qubuc, and occasionally a segol. The nikud was put in according to the preexisting dagesh. I dismiss as fantasies all this talk about "missing" consonants, "doubling" of consonants, etc.

8. Your theory that the dagesh and the niqud were introduced at the same time is a mere theory. You have, of course, the right to think that your theory is "more likely" than mine. I, for myself, don't believe that the NAQDANIYM, in spite of being probably Karaites, would have dared to modify the shape of a Hebrew letter in the holiest of books by inserting a dot INSIDE it.

9. The reasonable (I am not the only one thinking so) assumption that the dagesh preceded the niqud explains EVERY facet of the enigma of the dagesh neatly, completely, and logically.

Isaac Fried, Boston University