b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] YHB in Ps 55:23

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] YHB in Ps 55:23
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 16:40:51 -0200

i am afraid the more we enter in detail the less plausible
karl's suggestion (YHBK as a second person verb unit) becomes,
compared with the alternative (YHB as a noun),
which makes perfect sense (as mention by other listees) and even
gave birth to an everlasting idiomatic expression (HShLIK YHBW).

> With respect to שלה $LH and your suggestion that the Masoretic points be
> ignored and the possibility that השלך H$LK is in fact a noun with the
> definite article and the second person singular enclitic,

this is impossible: in hebrew it effectively means a noun with two
definite articles.

in addition, the word WHW) in v.23 for me indicates the counterpart
conjunctional, meaning "do your part AND THEN HE will do his". this
reading also favors the traditional interpretation.

nir cohen

  • [b-hebrew] YHB in Ps 55:23, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat., 05/04/2012