b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Anderson-Forbes analysis of 1 Chron 29:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Shead <sshead.email AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, Kirk AT grovescenter.org, philsumpter AT hotmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Anderson-Forbes analysis of 1 Chron 29:1
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:21:30 -0400

Kirk,

The problem with the first option seems to be the paucity of evidence for
'echad functioning adverbially.

With your preferred translation - and I confess that I haven't looked into
this further, I'm just asking on intuition - it doesn't seem obvious to me
that B would be extended that sense in biblical Hebrew. In the English
expression "one has God chosen in him", the preposition "in" seems to be
expressing a rather unusual subsense. In the entry for "in" in my *Australian
Oxford Dictionary* (sorry for all those "in"s!), it is listed as a discrete
sense: "with the identity of (*found a friend in Mary*)". Am I right in
thinking that this is the sense you have in mind, and is this sense found
elsewhere for B in the Hebrew Bible? It doesn't strike me as a particularly
obvious metaphoric extension from the basic local or instrumental senses.

Regards,
Stephen Shead
Centro de Estudios Pastorales
Santiago, Chile