b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 7:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 7:22
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 05:37:36 -0800

Pere:

In verse 11 did Pharaoh’s magicians change their sticks to snakes? Or was
it some sort of trick?

Many years ago I read an account that included a story about a type of
Egyptian snake that if one presses into the neck just behind the head, that
it stiffens our like a stick. So when the Egyptian magicians came in with
their “sticks”, it wasn’t really so, hence their trickery.

Now we come to them changing water to blood “by their enchantments”, did
they really do so, or was it another trick? From the context of this reply,
you have my answer what I think it was.

Karl W. Randolph.