b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] CPRD(

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] CPRD(
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 08:17:19 -0500

It all depends on your outlook.

First we notice that a good number of Hebrew animal names are of the kindred roots DB, ZB, CB, ZP, $B, $P, to wit: CAB, CBIY, CABOA, CEPA, ZEB, $APAN, $ABLUL, DOB, ZBUB

צב, צבי, צבוע, צפע, זאב, שפן, שבלול, דוב, זבוב

of CBH צבה and CB) צבא 'big'.

Addition of the uniliteral root R implies that there are many of them that gather and disperse as a flock or a crowd. To wit: CIPOR צפור 'bird', which I see as a variant of CIBOR, 'congregation'. See Gen. 41:49 and Ex 8:10.

So, you may want to see CPARDEA צפרדע as CPAR-DEA, or even CPAR- RDEA, 'the jumping זע bird'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University