b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ashdod

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Uzi Silber <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ashdod
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:17:46 -0500

As pointed out by Yigal the PLIY$TIYM settled (in a peaceful invasion?) in established indigenous towns, and eventually assimilated into the original indigenous population, to wit: they worshiped DAGON and BAAL ZBUB (I doubt that this is the ZBUB, 'fly, flying insect', of Isaiah 7:18.)

AZAH עזה is easy. A$QLON (not A$QELON) may, indeed, be from the root $QL, 'large and lofty', or it may be again a combination of A$ and QALON (KALON?). Biblical names are often, due to tendentious distortions by a succession of pious editors, but a shimmering fata morgana.

The name AZAZEL = AZ-AZ-EL עזאזל of Lev. 16:8, occurs in reversed form in Nu. 11:26 as ELDAD = EL-AD-AD.

It appears to me that A$TORET of 1Ki. 11:5 (also A$ER and ESTER?) includes E$, 'fire', and OR, 'light, namely, A$TORET = E$-AT-OR-HI-AT.

Isaac Fried, Boston University