b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ashdod

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ashdod
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 05:46:43 +0200

The archaeological and historical record makes it clear that all of the five
major Philistine cities were major Bronze Age Canaanite towns before the
Philistines took them over, so I would assume that their names were Semitic.
Ashdod seems to be related to the root ShDD, meaning "strong", from which
Hebrew derived Shoded, "strongman/robber" and Shadai, "mighty", also a
epithet for God.
Ashkelon, which is mentioned by name in texts as far back as the 19th
century BCE, presumably comes from Shekel, weight, befitting its position as
a port (which Ashdod was not at the time). The a- prefix in both still needs
to be explained.

Yigal Levin