b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vocalization and reading of Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: leonard book <lbook AT 013net.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vocalization and reading of Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:45:03 +0200

One cannot ignore what, according to Maimonides, has become the only
acceptable vocalisation - even if it was from the Tiberian Masorete school
of Aaron ben Asher. Jews, through the centuries, have been demonized owing
to incorrect vocalisation, for example when Moses descended the mountain
(Ex: 34:29) his face was radiant - KaRaN, lit: giving off rays, whereas some
read it as KeReN, i.e. he came down with horns, therefore, Jews are the sons
of the devil! Even one dot changes the whole meaning of the verse. Numbers
7:89, Moses "would hear the Voice speaking to him", which then continues,
"and He spoke to him." Without the Mesorah we would have read, 'medaber',
instead of 'midaber', a contraction of 'mitdaber' - reflexive. The 'taf' is
often omitted when a word whose first root letter is 'daled' or 'tet,' as
in, 'mitaher', condensed from 'mit-taher. The first root letter then takes a
dogesh, i.e Moses heard (or overheard) God speaking to Himself! (See Rashi
and also on Ex: 33:9.)

Besides the vocalization, the question of what type of Hebrew writing was in
use at the time of Sinai, was it Ivrit - Hebrew or Ashuri -Assyrian? De
Rossi states that when the Messiah arrives, only then will we have the true
answer.
It is no small wonder that the early rabbis declared a Fast day when the
Torah was first translated into a foreign tongue.

Leonard E. Book