b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mishnaic Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mishnaic Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 16:35:27 -0800

Kevin:

You make an interesting point.

However, the higher level activities in post-Babylonian Exile Judea were
supposed to be in Hebrew, not Aramaic. The highest, of course, being the
cultic activities of their religion. The next highest being the internal
governmental activities. High literature another.

Lower level activities, like occasional contact with their distant emperor
and trade, could be carried on in Aramaic. That the lower level activities
including the local market, even home use, apparently were in Aramaic would
seem to be the opposite of your point. But thanks for bringing it up, it
made me stop and think.

That the Hebrew became simplified in this situation argues that the pool of
native mother-tongue Hebrew speakers was very small thus unable to keep up
the richness the language previously had, or as I think is more probable,
that Hebrew was spoken as a second language, similar to how Latin was
spoken as a second language during the medieval period to take care of the
higher level activities in that time and place.

Taken in context with the comment by Nehemiah only strengthens my
conclusion that Hebrew was a second language.

As for that story about rabbis learning from a servant girl about Hebrew
language, there is only one that I have heard of repeated ad nauseam where
today we have no indication of where she learned Hebrew (could have been
from hearing the rabbi and his students studying) nor how long she worked
for the rabbi before he recognized her competence and used her in
linguistic activities. That lack of information about her does not allow us
to use her example as evidence for anything.

Karl W. Randolph.