b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Takhrir and Shikhrur

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Takhrir and Shikhrur
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 00:31:37 +0200

I have not checked this, and since I'm sitting at the food court of the
Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco at the moment I have no way to
check, but I think that the root of Tahrir is cognate to the Hebrew XRR (Het
Resh Resh), from which we get the Mishnaic Hebrew Herut and "Benei Horin"
(free men). I don't recall this root in the Bible.

I think (but am not sure) that "Shihrur" is a modern form, using the binyan
Shaph'el, common in Akkadian but not in Classical Hebrew, but very much used
in Modern Hebrew (Shakhpel - replicate; Shakhtev - rewrite; Shadreg - up(or
down)grade; and so Shahrer - make free).

Karl is of course correct that Hebrew SH is often paralleled by Aramaic T.
This is also true for Arabic, and thus Hebrew Shnayim (two) is Arabic Tneyn,
Aramaic Tarten; Hebrew Shalosh (three) is Thalath and so on. I don't know
enough Arabic grammar to know what binyan Tahrir is, but it's obviously
related.

Yigal Levin