b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] song of Deborah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] song of Deborah
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 23:15:00 -0800

Uri:

Has anyone anywhere on this list ever claimed that Mishnaic Hebrew was not
spoken? Seriously, I don’t know of anyone who makes such a claim.

On the other hand, is there any evidence that Mishnaic Hebrew was the
primary language of anyone during the time it was spoken? There is nothing
I have seen that indicates that. Instead everything I have seen indicates
that just as Latin is still spoken in conversations by some, and used to be
spoken by every educated person in Europe during the Medieval period, but
none then nor now spoke it as a native language, so Mishnaic Hebrew was an
official language used for high literature, religion and civic affaires,
but no-one spoke it natively.

Karl W. Randolph.