b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] song of Deborah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dewayne Dulaney <dewayne.dulaney AT gmail.com>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] song of Deborah
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 14:56:56 -0600

Uri H. katav:

>> Karl,
How do you, or anyone, 'see' or know that Mishnaic
Hebrew was not a spoken language?
The earlier language had changed in time, which is
quite normal.
There is a vast literature on the subject. The
indications that people spoke it are quite clear.>>

I haven't had a chance yet to read any of the Mishnah, but I seem to
recall reading somewhere that much of what is in the Mishnah is based
on discussions of the rabbis.
Is there a statement in the Mishnah that these discussions took place
in a different language than the language they were recorded in? If
not, and if there is no other evidence suggesting this happened, then
it should be assumed that Mishnaic Hebrew was indeed spoken, even if
only among the rabbis. If not, why not?

Dewayne Dulaney