b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Milcah vs. the "Daughters of Canaan"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andronic Khandjani <andronicusmy AT gmail.com>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Milcah vs. the "Daughters of Canaan"
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 22:56:03 +0300

Thank you for the answer but there are a lot of male relatives of Abraham
cited who did not play any direct role. It only implies that the author
would remind to the first readers or hearers that they have connection with
other tribes that we may not know.

About the teraphim we have to remember that there a difference between the
"sin of Jeroboam" and the idolatry of Ahab. According the theology of the
Bible, Ahab was introducing the baalism but Jeroboam and Jehu use to worship
in the wrong way. Teraphim was considered as less dangerous than the worship
of a foreign god. There are some basic agreement between Eliezer(?), Jacob,
Laban and Bethuel about the main God.

Jacob will tend explicitly to a very strict monotheism closing the cycle of
the 3 main patriarchs. If Abraham may speak about gods to the kings, Jacob
will avoid any common reference of God with his own uncle. With Jacob the
monotheism become completely exclusivist:"*Then Jacob said unto his
household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are
among you, and be clean, and change your garments"*

Jacob is the man of the rupture: rupture with his Aramean roots, rupture
with the Aramean syncretism. Jacob had a message and he felt enough strong
with his 12 sons and other Aramean-Hebrews to accept non Hebrew women in his
clan that he would convert.

Firouz Khandjani

Pleven, Bulgaria