b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Practical comparison and separation of modern and biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Practical comparison and separation of modern and biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:48:01 -0700

Randall:

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com> wrote:

> [rb] … And now, here, the false statement: "We don't find this pattern in
>>> Biblical Hebrew." Not only do we find the pattern "pronoun+participle in
>>> actual present situations", but it is the default pattern! It is the
>>> basic
>>> way for Jeremiah and Moses to communicate in BH. As I said before, I
>>> can't change BH just because it is roughly congruent to something in
>>> modern
>>> Hebrew or English. …
>>>

> This morning I read 2 Kings 2–8 and, because of this question, analyzed (I
usually just read) the patterns in the quoted statements in that section. It
seems as if the default pattern is that the verb is a Qal Qatal for a
simple, spoken, present tense, nominative sentence. At least in that
section. The majority of the sentences also had a pronoun connected with the
verb, usually preceding it.

Previously I had just a gut feeling that your claim is not entirely
accurate, but now I am looking for, and finding, too many exceptions to your
“default pattern” to agree with you.