b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Heber's Wife Jael and Goat

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Heber's Wife Jael and Goat
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 10:30:07 -0700 (PDT)

Since the humble (Ez and her feminine gender appeared
again in the discussion, I'll mention again that in this
case we're treading on solid ground.

The BH word is based on an earlier PS feminine form.
This is clearly evident in the Arabic (Anzat ('Anzah
in the colloquial ). The Nun dropped out in Hebrew,
leaving a trace in the pronounciation of the plural and
and of declensions which was audible to the Masorets'
ears.

Without performing any physical examination on Yael,
the point should be made that the root is honorably
Semitic.

".... OK - I will accept that עז/`ez is feminine.

>> > My point is that 'goats' have a masculine looking form and a masculine
>> > looking plural, yet they are "feminine".

> In things historical, natural and reasonable get overturned by what actual
> happens. In those cases we try to explain simply and directly. That is what
> my 'goat' explanation is. an explanation, not a proof. "

Uri Hurwitz