b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Clearing up the morphology of Hebrew, CV and CVC

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dewayne Dulaney <dewayne.dulaney AT gmail.com>
  • To: Kimmo Huovila <kimmo.huovila AT kolumbus.fi>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Clearing up the morphology of Hebrew, CV and CVC
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 15:56:12 -0500

I second what Kimmo says about the methodology. I studied comparative
Romance language linguistics (we called it philology) in grad school.
As part of an Old Spanish course (Old Spanish period defined as c.
A.D. 800 to about 1500, if memory serves), we learned the sound
(phonetic) laws that applied to Vulgar Latin (i.e., non-literary
Latin) that led to the development of Spanish. Once we learned these,
we were given lists of Latin words to turn into Spanish ones by
applying the appropriate sound changes. These were not speculative on
our part as students or on the part of the professor, but based on
solid linguistic work that had been done by people who had learned the
languages and studied the historical evidence.

While details of application and even method of course differ, the
same basic idea of how to reconstruct language development over time
applies to reconstruction of earlier forms of Semitic languages. In
fact, most of the basics of linguistics as a discipline apply
regardless of which language or languaages one is working with. To
give another example, the work of Noam Chomsky, which in part dealt
with the syntax and sound system of English, also had more general
application, and is one of the authors referenced in the online
Lexicon of Linguistics produced by the University of Utrecht, the
Netherlands (http://www2.let.uu.nl/UiL-OTS/Lexicon/), which I found
listed as a resource for the study of Ancient Greek (Hellenistic) on
the Greek Language and Linguistics site,
http://greek-language.com/Home.html.

Dewayne Dulaney