b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Heber's Wife Jael and Goat

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dewayne Dulaney <dewayne.dulaney AT gmail.com>
  • To: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, uhurwitz AT yahoo.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Heber's Wife Jael and Goat
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 20:14:48 -0500

And here's a point to consider that nobody, I think, has mentioned in
this discussion: maybe Yael's parents named her that way because they
liked the sound of the name. Meaning may not have even been an issue.
That is often the case in modern cultures. Yes, I'm aware that some OT
Hebrew names were apparently chosen because of meaning, but that need
not apply to all of them. For instance, I doubt that Nabal—meaning
"fool": 1 Sam. 25:25, כשׁמו כן־הוא נבל שמו ונבלה עמו —was named by his
parents because he was a particularly foolish infant...all infants are
foolish until they learn things! In his case, though, it may be that
they named him that way with the hope that he would be the opposite,
i.e., wise. Sadly, they were wrong about that.

Just some food for thought.

Dewayne Dulaney

דואין דוליני