b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Idiomatic phrases

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chavoux Luyt <chavoux AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Idiomatic phrases
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 00:24:40 +0200

Hi George

<snip>
> I'm thinking about what idiomatic phrases beginning students of Hebrew
> should be aware of, and was
>wondering what expressions you would contribute.
There are a number of these I can think of. One has already been named
in another thread:
(al pnei) על פני = "in the presence of" (On the face of)

There are also a few that I am not sure of:
(matza chen be einei) מצא חן בעיני = "like"? (find favor in the eyes
of) (modern Hebrew only?)
קרא בשם יהוה (kara beshem YHWH) = "pray" ?(Call on the Name of YHWH)

Some are so familiar that we barely distinguish between the idiom and
the literal meaning.: e.g.
השתחוה (Hishtachaveh) = "worship" (bow before)
איש לאחיו / איש אל רעהו / איש לרעהו (ish le-re`ehu / ish el re`ehu /
ish le'achiv) = one another (man to his neighbour/man to his brother)

Some eufemisms might be less common (=applicable to beginning
students), but are interesting nonetheless:
E.g. Job 2:9 - ברך אלהים (berach Elohim) = "curse God" (bless God)
להסך את רגליו (lehasekh et raglav) = "to relieve himself" (to cover his
feet)
משתין בקיר (mashtin b'kir) = "males" (who urinates against a wall)

I know there are more that I cannot think of now, but let's hear more
from the other list members. :-)

Shalom
Chavoux Luyt