b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 8:18 “khmym”

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Hedrick Gary <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 8:18 “khmym”
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:02:44 -0500

Karl, I think you mean "khnym."

In any case, here's a pertinent note from A.A. Anderson in the Word Biblical
Commentary:

The statement that David’s sons were priests is often altered or toned down
in the versions (cf. G, Syr., Tg.). Already 1 Chr 18:17 calls them “chief
officials” (הראשנים) next to the king or, perhaps, “… the elder sons of David
… were next to the king” (cf. McCarter, 254). The reason for these and other
changes may have been the wish to avoid the implication that there could have
been legitimate non-levitical priests. No indication is given as to whether
or not the priestly function of David’s sons was different from that of Zadok
and Ahimelek (or Abiathar). In any case, this office of the sons of David
was, apparently, a temporary arrangement (cf. 20:26; 1 Kgs 4:1–6).

Hope this helps.

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA