b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:18-22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:18-22
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:22:54 -0700

Kenneth:

The following is merely an analysis of the linguistic and literary record
written in Tanakh, acknowledging that not all on this list accept it as
accurate history.

There are several people mentioned in Tanakh who were not descendants of
Abraham yet were counted as worshipping the same God as Abraham. People that
come to mind include Jethro, Moses’ father-in-law, Caleb one of the 12 spies
and his nephew who was the first listed judge of Israel after Joshua who
saved Israel from oppression, the most famous being Job who had a whole book
about him. While it is true that all those I named lived after Abraham,
there is no indication that they all got their knowledge of God through
Abraham and his descendants.

Since Tanakh pictures God as having created the universe, and having
interacted with people in space-time history after creation, so from the
context there is every expectation that Melchizedek worshipped the same God
as did Abraham.

Karl W. Randolph.