b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mighty

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mighty
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 09:13:50 -0400

It is not completely clear to me what is your point.
As I understand it ABRAM kept to the high, semi arid, semi desolate, sparsely populated, eastern and southern parts of country where he could graze his flocks on the natural growth and dwell free of molestation. He did not, methinks, descend to the fertile coastal plains that were teeming with Canaanites who would have given him and his exceedingly good looking (blond hair, blue eyes?) wife a goodly hard time.
The Israelites entering the country after the exodus and the wait in the desert also came from the east to avoid the plain (see Ex. 13:17).

Isaac Fried, Boston University